Sunday, April 22, 2012

Retro Sunday Squared - Vintage Sally Hansen Hard as Nails

Happy Sunday everyone! Long time no see =) Today Dana and I have decided to share some vintage Sally Hansen Hard as Nails polishes with you. Don't forget to check out Dana's post over at Polished Claws Up, she has some fun ones to show you guys today!!

I've had a tough time researching these polishes, as there are so many incarnations of Hard as Nails polish still available these days so I'm not quite sure when exactly these came out. My guess is somewhere in the mid-to-late 90's but don't quote me on that. This line is known for its matching brush handles, which is probably my favorite thing about them!! If the polish is shimmery, the brush handle with be a matching shimmery color. If the polish is glitter, there will be glitter embedded in the brush handle. I think the whole matching brush trend needs to be resurrected, it makes the bottles look so pretty =)

Anyways, the first Hard as Nails polish I have for you today is Slick Frost. Of all the vintage Hard as Nails polishes I own, this is hands down my favorite. In fact, this is probably one of my top 3 favorite oranges in my entire collection. Slick Frost is an amazing, glowy bright orange. It is a bit brushstroke-y, but I really don't mind because it just enhances the glow of the polish. Old polishes like this tend to be a bit watery and sheer, so it took 3 coats to reach opacity here. Sadly, I forgot to take a picture of the bottle but I assure you that the brush handle is a lovely, shimmery orange that matches the Slick Frost polish. SO COOL!

Here is Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Slick Frost, 3 coats with topcoat.






Next up is Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Nuclear. Nuclear may be one of the oddest polishes in my collection. It is from a special edition line of glitters, and again, I have no idea when these came out. The line consists of silver holo glitter in sheer colored bases. Sounds great but in reality, they're actually not all that awesome. Nuclear is probably the ugliest of them all, a silver holo glitter in a sheer, watery yellow base. I chose it because I though that the yellow base would lend a gold-ish tinge to the glitter that would mesh nicely with Slick Frost. It definitely made the glitter appear gold, but I'm not so sure it meshed well with Slick Frost. It added a very unpleasant yellow cast and I'm not digging it. In fact, I'm not sure this polish would mesh well with much of anything! Anyways, it was an interesting experiment. The best thing about this polish is the matching glitter handle =)

Here's 2 coats of Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Nuclear over Slick Frost.




Hope you've enjoyed this edition of Retro Sunday Squared!!! Don't forget to check out Dana's post as well =) See you next time!

21 comments:

  1. I love this orange color!!! It is simply gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Slick Frost, you sexy orange devil you! Freaking amazing!!! On my wish list it goes!!!! Worth the brushstrokes indeed!!! Nuclear makes me just drool, drool, & drool! I want these glitters so bad! Amazing swatches, I do really like the combo, great for summer!<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally worth the brushstrokes!! Frosty polishes get a bad rap, and some are pretty hideous of course, but then there's ones like this that make it all worthwhile! Hopefully you can find some of these glitters soon!

      Delete
  3. I love the copper color of Slick Frost, but you could have guessed that. ;) Your nails look great too! Thanks for sharing your vintage lovelies with us--I look forward to Sundays for these posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving your retro Sunday series! :) Slick Frost is awesome, what a great orange on you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl! I love it too, I'm not usually an orange girl but I'm surprised how much I liked it on me!

      Delete
  5. That combination is gorgeous! I wish I could still get these:-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You can always stalk eBay for them, they will pop up from time to time.

      Delete
  6. Lovely mani! Great combination!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love this polish!! Color is so unique! Red orange with light yellow glow, wow!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both great and they look great together! =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks like china glaze riveting! Very nice orange!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay for some reason blogger won't let me respond to the rest individually! Ahhh

    @Maria - Glad you like!! It's definitely a unique orange, unlike any other in my stash for sure!

    @Amanda - Thank you!! I'm not so sure on this combo myself but I'm glad that others like it =)

    @Fingers - It definitely does have that glowy quality that Riveting has for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely love that they used to have matching brush handles and wish they had continued that! Such a gorgeous rich color, and I love it with the glitter too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous combo, and I LOVE the matching brush handles! I wish they still did that!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment, I appreciate each and every one! Any comments with links will be deleted. If you would like me to check out your blog, please send an email to thescholarlynail (at) gmail (dot) com, and I will be more than happy to check it out! Thanks for your cooperation =)