Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Ugly-Pretty or Pretty Ugly: China Glaze Trendsetter

Good morning everyone! Hope your day is going swimmingly. Today, I am starting a series of posts titled "Ugly-Pretty or Pretty Ugly" because I realized I seem to have an attraction to ugly colors. Well, perhaps colors that others would find ugly and I find them to be fantastic! Anything murky, old lady or baby poop colored, send them my way!

Ugly-pretty is a phrase often credited as being coined by Tyra Banks on America's Next Top Model meaning something that is so damn ugly that it actually looks pretty awesome at the same time. This modeling concept also applies to nail polish. What's hot in nail polish now are colors that may be considered fairly ugly by many people.

China Glaze Trendsetter is one of those colors. It is from the fantastic fall 2011 Metro Collection from China Glaze. The Metro Collection was probably the only fall collection this year that I really loved, and I think this color is one of the reasons why. Trendsetter is a mustardy-green-yellow-brown color with golden shimmer throughout. Some may look at it and think it is hideous, while I think it is brilliant! The shimmer really pulls this color together, making it have almost a brocade finish as it is very dense and velvety.

The following pictures are all two coats plus one coat of topcoat. It is a bit thicker than the rest of the colors in this collection, but the polish leveled out fairly well and did not create any bubbling or other problems. It tends to pull quite green on my skin tone, but I have seen other pictures where it looks very yellow on people. I am completely in love with this color! I don't really care how it looks on my skintone, it's just such a fascinating color that I will wear it no matter what.

Natural Light
Natural Light
Natural Light
Natural Light
Artificial Light - click to enlarge to see the pretty shimmer!
Artficial Light - Mattified with Essie Matte About You Topcoat. Love this!

And there you have it - China Glaze Trendsetter. What do you think? Ugly-pretty or just plain pretty ugly?

-Jacqui

2 comments:

  1. i find this very pretty. i have it and on the week that i wore it, i can't help but look at my nails. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, another fugly colour fan! I love colours like this! Trendsetter is awesome too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment, I appreciate each and every one! Any comments with links will be deleted. If you would like me to check out your blog, please send an email to thescholarlynail (at) gmail (dot) com, and I will be more than happy to check it out! Thanks for your cooperation =)