Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Orly Nite Owl & Why I Love the Color Taupe

Happy Tuesday everyone! Today I have for you one of my favorite neutral nail polish shades: Orly Nite Owl. Nite Owl is from this fall's Bird's of a Feather collection, and is often overlooked by the star of the collection, Fowl Play. While I do like Fowl Play, I have owned OPI Merry Midnight for quite some time, so it's not really something I hadn't seen before. For those who don't know, Orly's Fowl Play and OPI Merry Midnight are dupes of each other, meaning that they are very similar in composition. They are both dark purple polishes with red glitter and red and blue flakes in them. Very pretty, but it didn't quite excite me as much as Nite Owl did.

Nite Owl is a GORGEOUS taupe polish. Taupe is that color when something is walking the fine line between brown and grey. If you look at something, and think "well, it's either a brownish-grey or a greyish-brow," then sista, you've got yourself a taupe! One reason why I love taupe is because it tends to be a universally flattering shade. I have cool-toned skin, so my undertones love to bring out the grey in taupey colors. People with warm tones tend to pick up the browns in taupe. I also love taupe because it's a little bit darker than your average neutral color, so it tends to stick out more yet still remains subtle and, in my opinion, a perfect color for work. I am studying to be a paralegal, so I'm always on the lookout for colors that would work in court without being your plain, old, and boring sheer nude.

Nite Owl's taupe base is further enhanced by a wonderful golden "brocade" shimmer throughout, giving it an almost suede look. This polish is really the perfect working girl's polish. It hangs on to the neutrality, but the suedey-shimmer gives it a subtle pop that still keeps it fun. It's so fun that it's still a non-work color as well. I can't stop staring at my hands, it's just such and elegant shade without being too demure or too over the top.

As with most Orly polishes, application was fantastic - two easy coats and a top coat and I was good to go. Orly is one of my favorite brands, as whenever I put one on, I am amazed at how smoothly the application process goes. They are thick enough that I don't have to worry about flooding my cuticles, but not too thick that I worry about bubbling and gloopiness.

Without further ado, here is the beautiful Orly Nite Owl. I decided to take the pictures without the bottle today, as I have noticed that my photos have sucked lately and wanted to try a different approach. Not sure I love these pictures either, but oh well. Hope you enjoy!





Have a wonderful day everyone! See you tomorrow for Pink Wednesday =)

10 comments:

  1. Just found your blog-your nails are perfectly painted-I really like that! Am a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, you're too kind! Thanks for stopping by =) I popped in on your blog as well, I love your manicure today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Night Owl looks so great on you, your post really makes me want to buy it! I don't think I own any taupe colors which is weird because I love neutrals. (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! Well, I highly suggest this be your first taupe polish =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I passed on this color at the time, but MAN it looks great on you and I can't wait to get my claws on it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loooove this color! Dana, if you can't find this anywhere, I've heard that Essie Mochaccino is a close dupe =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a taupe (and Orly) fan, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Karen, it's like my two loves in one: Taupe and Orly! Glad I'm not the only one =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to pick this one up! I love this color and it looks great on you! The shimmer in this is just incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  10. After wearing both Nite Owl and Fowl Play I must admit that Nite Owl rocked my world more. I couldn't believe it myself, but you can't deny your polish feelings, can you? ;) Nite Owl deserves A LOT more love than what she's getting. Plus, it has "owl" in the name, which is a total epic win all by itself.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment, I appreciate each and every one! Any comments with links will be deleted. If you would like me to check out your blog, please send an email to thescholarlynail (at) gmail (dot) com, and I will be more than happy to check it out! Thanks for your cooperation =)