Sunday, August 19, 2012

Retro Sunday Squared - Vintage Sally Hansen Glitters!

Heyyy everyone!! I'm so excited to bring you guys another edition of Retro Sunday Squared with Polished Claws Up! For all my new followers, Retro Sunday Squared is mine and my polish BFF, Dana's, way to showcase some of our vintage gems together! Both of us have an insatiable love for old and hard-to-find polish so we've decided to team up every Sunday to show you some of the stars of our collections. Now that I'm back in the swing of things, Retro Sunday Squared returns!!

We've decided to do vintage Sally Hansen glitters today!! I am so super stoked about this because, as you have seen from my stash pics, I have a huge weakness for SH glitters and I have not swatched nearly enough of them. I chose two of the Hard as Nails Special Edition glitters for todays post because they are some of my favorites in my entire stash. I think these came out somewhere around 1999-2000 and are long discontinued so the only place to find these nowadays is blogsales or eBay. These glitters are a bit tricky because they are suspended in very sheer jelly bases so they are generally best for layering. However, I wanted to see what these bad boys could do on their own so that's what I did here today. They both took 4 coats to reach opacity, but I think it was worth it because they look pretty fantastic on their own!

~~~~

First up is Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Laser. Laser is a new addition to my collection, it just arrived this week! From the moment I saw this polish, I knew that I had to do a manicure with it by itself. It truly is a stunner! Laser is a bright cherry red jelly with small holo hex glitters and small gold square glitters. This polish is unique in the Special Edition collection because most of them only have the holo glitter in it, so the little gold squares really added a special pizazz. It only needed one normal layer of topcoat, it was not gritty or hungry in the slightest.

I use the term jelly lightly to describe this polish because it is really, really sheer. It took 4 coats to reach opacity and even then you can still see a bit of VNL (visible nail line). But it was so squishy and sparkly and juicy that the 4 coats didn't bother me one bit. This being an old formula polish means that it takes longer to dry anyways and then add the need for 4 coats on top of that and you've got one that takes a looooong time to dry. It's all a matter of personal preference, I do not mind this at all but I can see how it would bother someone else.

On to the pictures! Here is 4 coats of Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Laser. Don't forget to click on the pics to enlarge, you'll want to see this one close up!







~~~~

Next up is Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Sonar! Sonar was the #1 polish of this collection that I had been wanting and I was lucky enough to finally find it (along with several others) on eBay a few weeks back. Sonar is a dark teal jelly packed with small hex and teeny square holo glitters. I LOVE THIS POLISH YOU GUYS. Not only is it squishy and delicious, but it seems to have more glitters than almost all of the other polishes in this collection so it is extra amazeballs! Again, it took 4 coats to reach opacity but I'm glad I decided to do this because when I was wearing it, I could not stop staring at my nails.

Here's 4 coats of Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Sonar. Don't forget to click to enlarge! Enjoy =)







And some bottle shots of Laser and Sonar!


~~~~

Thanks for stopping by today!! Don't forget to check out Dana's post over at Polished Claws Up to see what awesome vintage Sally Hansen glitters she has in store for you today!

Stay tuned for more vintage Sally Hansen polishes here all week! See you all tomorrow =)

42 comments:

  1. They are BEAUTIFUL both of them. The green looks a lot like China Glaze Atlantis, I think. Simply gorgeous, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Sonar does remind me of China Glaze Atlantis for sure!!

      Delete
  2. These are beautiful! Definitely worth the effort of 4 coats!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're both gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are both beautiful! Wow, why can't drugstore polishes come out with polishes as amazing as that!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, we need polishes like this again! Especially with the matching handles =)

      Delete
  5. These are gorgeous! I wish these would come back! I'm sure they would be a big hit. They're amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I'm sure they would be a huge hit! Their current Hard as Nails line is as lame as lame can be!

      Delete
  6. I love them even if they are sheer! Maybe I should start looking for these :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too! There's still a few up on eBay right now, grab them while you can!

      Delete
  7. The holo glitter in the jelly base is fantastic! I'd mess it up with the long dry time however, I always do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too! Yes, they are very easy to mess up, it wasn't a problem because I was just swatching though =)

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you, but believe it or not, these polishes aren't layered and are standing on their own!!

      Delete
  9. Amazing! I did not know nail polish could survive this long!!! You have totally peaked my interest in old polish, even though some may not be big 3 free, but hey it is very interesting. Plus back then I did not know what was available, because I wasn't into polish back then. Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I have nail polishes that are almost as old as I am (I am 26, BTW) and they are as good as new! No, they are not 3-free but I don't mind at all. In fact, sometimes I prefer the old formulas =)

      Delete
  10. Holy moly these are awesome! =O

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on grabbing these, and thanks for the beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So gorgeous! Still on the hunt for those blue ones you showed a while back, omggg! haha! Great swatches!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I should've kept all my old SHs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way, all of mine have been re-purchased recently. There's still some of these up on eBay now though!

      Delete
  14. Glitter polish will always hold a special place in my heart. :)

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awwwwwwww shiiiiiit! My phone didn't save my comment from this morning.LAME! OMG I thought I had Laser but I totally don't! Right after I read this I ordered it LOL! OMG these look amazing alone - I need to try them out this way! Beautiful swatches as usual!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knowwww, I didn't know why I didn't grab it the first time around! I am in love with it!! Definitely try them on their own, some of them may be too sheer but these two worked out really well!

      Delete
  16. Ooooooooh I love Sonar! So beautiful :3

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love Sonar! So gorgeous! Very sheer, so maybe it would be good for layering :3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, it's definitely best suited for layering but I do like it on its own too!

      Delete
  18. I agree, Laser is absolutely stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too! I wish my pics could have captured it better!

      Delete
  19. I want these!! They are beautiful and you have amazing swatches! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's still a few of these kind of glitters on eBay, not sure if these specific colors are still available though! It's worth a shot =)

      Delete
  20. Oh wow, I am loving these vintage posts! And I adore your swatches :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment, I appreciate each and every one! Any comments with links will be deleted. If you would like me to check out your blog, please send an email to thescholarlynail (at) gmail (dot) com, and I will be more than happy to check it out! Thanks for your cooperation =)