Thursday, August 23, 2012

Ruby Slippers and Star Sapphire - Vintage Sally Hansen Week

THURSDAY!! I have a quick post today to show you all two more glitters from the Sally Hansen vintage Hard as Nails collection!

~~~~

First up is Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Ruby Slippers. Ruby Slippers is a dense red microglitter in a clear base and it is fantastic. This is pre-China Glaze Ruby Pumps folks, and it may very well be the original ruby slippers polish! My guess is that it came out somewhere between 1996-2000. It could have been opaque in 2 coats but I saw my girl Dana layer hers over a deep vampy red and it was just absolutely stunning! I couldn't resist trying the same thing when I swatched it so that's what we've got here =)


Here is 1 coat of Sally Hansen Ruby Slippers over one coat of Wet n Wild Blackest Red.




~~~~

Next up is Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Star Sapphire. Star Sapphire is a sapphire blue glitter in a clear base. It wasn't nearly as dense as Ruby Slippers and isn't the type of glitter meant to be opaque so it is layered as well. The glitter pieces were a bit bigger and chunkier than the ones in Ruby Slippers so although they look similar in the bottle, Star Sapphire is quite different.

Another fun thing about this polish is that there were a few scattered pieces of red glitter in it! I have another Hard as Nails glitter called Shimmer, which is a green glitter that has a few scattered red pieces of glitter in it as well. I don't think the red glitter is intentional in these polishes, it probably just stuck to the lab equipment more than the other glitters and showed up in all sorts of fun places.

Here is 1 coat of Sally Hansen Star Sapphire over OPI Roadhouse Blues.




~~~~

What do you guys think? Thanks for stopping by and I'll see you tomorrow =)

52 comments:

  1. How gorgeous those two are. Love them both.
    Barbvanth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruby slippers is just awesome! Just the kind of color I love

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are killing me with these gorgeous polishes! LOL LOVE!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want both of these!! Why must you do this to me?? :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh that red is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both of them are great!
    I don't like red polishes so much (on my nails - on others it looks always great, but not on me. That's just my opinion :D) I'd love to buy the blue one as well. I don't own a single polish of Sally Hansen yet. I guess I missed something... ;)

    Thanks for your comment on our blog btw! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like them!! These are pretty old school polishes, but Sally Hansen has good polishes out now too!

      Delete
  7. I love that Ruby Slippers looks like it has some holo bits in there. So gorgeous! I really love Star Sapphire as well.. what a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It actually doesn't have any holo bits in it, but my camera picked up some weird kind of sparkle in it! I'm glad you like them =)

      Delete
  8. I think the red glitter in Star Sapphire adds to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I think it's cool too! It looks really cool in the green glitter one I have too, it's almost Christmas-y!

      Delete
  9. They are both SOOO gorgeous, especially Ruby Slippers - siiighh - thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so loving these vintage SHs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad! I'm always afraid people won't like seeing vintage polishes but I'm happy that you do =)

      Delete
  11. Both of them looks so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ruby Slippers has a special place in my heart <3 Love those shimmery sparkely reds! Your swatches are gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely love these, gorgeous sparkles... btw, I was ashamed to discover that I wasn't following you back... *Hangs head in shame* Fixed that though, your nails are amazing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. AW SHIT! I love Star Sapphire! Ruby Slippers is a great red! I love how you're showcasing these SH's! LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they fab?! I'm sad that Sally Hansen week is over, there's so many more that I want to swatch!

      Delete
  15. Both are GORGEOUS!!! I am still amazed by the age of the polishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, just goes to show you how long polish can last! These polishes are both good as new =)

      Delete
  16. Both are beautiful, but Ruby Slippers looks amazing in your swatches! So deep, rich, and sparkly! :D

    ~ Yun

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those look amazing. They have such great depth.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh wow, Shimmer is great! But of course I love the blue:) SH needs more recognition, I'm really glad you're doing these posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like! I agree, I think SH is an excellent brand, especially the vintage stuff!

      Delete
  19. Wow that SH Ruby Slippers is really nice, it's neat to see older polishes and SH isn't super pricy or anything despite how great it looks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! That's why I love them =) I'm glad you like it too!

      Delete
  20. These old Sally Hansens you're posting are slaying me! They're all so beautiful - I love Ruby Slippers especially :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're enjoying them! They're both fantastic polishes!

      Delete
  21. I wish I had known/seen/bought/run away with these when they were out! They are simply STUNNING.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment, I appreciate each and every one! Any comments with links will be deleted. If you would like me to check out your blog, please send an email to thescholarlynail (at) gmail (dot) com, and I will be more than happy to check it out! Thanks for your cooperation =)